Sunday, August 10, 2008

Salein' Solo

Summer is not complete until I've had a garage sale, which is just what I did yesterday. I get a real thrill from putting my stuff in the drive way, being a store owner for a day, watching stuff I no longer want drive away with happy customers while I slip the extra cash into my fancy garage sale belt.

The first summer I was married, I was so excited to share this thrill with the love of my life. After combining our house holds and getting ready to move half-way across the country, we had lots of lute to sell, my honey and I! The big day finally arrived. We got up early, swept the drive-way, put up signs, set up all our merchandise, and waited for the customers to arrive. And arrive they did! I started engaging our customers, answering questions about how certain things worked, bargaining deals, and making change. It got pretty busy but Jeff was no where to be seen. When there was a lull in the action I stepped into the house, to figure out what had happened to him. He was keeping himself busy with other projects inside. Dumbfounded, I said, "What are you doing? We have customers outside." Looking a little guilty, he said, "I know. I just can't stand out there with all my junk in front of people! Did you see the lady in the black shirt? I know her from work! Sorry, Angie, I just can't do it!" Shocked by this admission and stunned that my dream of us hosting yearly garage sales together would not be, I rejoined our "junk" out on the driveway. How could he not have told me about this "phobia" of his BEFORE we married?! But, I'm coping. Our friends, Darrell and Starr, joined the sale a few hours later that day. It turns out Starr has the same "phobia" as Jeff. So, when she hightailed it into the house to "help Jeff make lunch", Darrell and I put on a great sale!

Learning from that experience, I always try to invite a friend to co-host the garage sales with me. Yesterday, I ran my garage sale along side my neighbor, Karen. She's a great lady whose children are all grown. She and her husband retired to the house next door about 9 years ago and she was ready to clear their garage of various antiques and collectibles amongst other things.

So, this morning the alarm went off at the crack of dawn and Jeff (who typically enjoys sleeping in a bit on Saturdays) pulled himself out of bed, swept the driveway, helped me to display merchandise (including the beat-up couches mentioned in my previous post), posted signs, and gathered some change for me. But, as soon as that first customer headed up our driveway, he was GONE, swallowed back into hiding.

It was a busy morning. I glanced over to see if things were as busy over in Karen's drive-way. I couldn't help but take notice that her husband was out there with her, unashamed to "stand out there with all his junk in front of everyone." I sighed knowing that that would never be Jeff and me in our golden years. Oh well. I just need to be at peace knowing that I'll be living a life of salein' solo.

5 comments:

Starr said...

Hmmmm, Angie. I wonder if Jeff's phobia was at all "helped" by the fact that on that fateful Iowan afternoon, you nearly sold off his GLASSES when his back was turned! Good thing he put an end to that particular transaction.
You, my dear, are indeed the most enthusiastic garage "saler" I have ever known. At this point, I would love to do nothing more than hang with you and your junk on an Arizona day.
Missing you . . .Tons and tons of love,
Starr

Angie said...

Starr-

Oh, how you forget. Jeff wasn't anywhere on the premises, so I did sell his glasses. I think I got two bucks for them. 2 bucks we later put toward eye surgery so that he no longer needs glasses. So, it's all good. Jeff has never forgotten how I sold his eye glasses and reminds me of it often. If you remember, I also sold his Amy Grant Scrapbooks. Tey had to go. You snooze, you lose. Angie

P.S. I still envy the lucky person who bought that papa-son chair of yours from Darrell for too little money.

Salty Incisor said...

I am with Jeff here. I hate these people just ripping your stuff away and asking to pay a quarter instead of a dollar when you know you paid $50 for it. Plus I feel better about just giving it away. I don't have the patience to save it all then sit out and hope it sells.
Thanks for coming out of the closet. Can I put you on my blog roll? Will you ever comment if I comment on yours. You look really good!!!!!! I miss you!

Ask Cook said...

Any money that we got for the papa-san chair (aka round dog-urine magnet) was highway robbery. Angie, I consider you Bonnie to my Clyde in that deal.

Cookie

Angie said...

Cookie-

Thanks for the first laugh of the day!

Angie