Friday, August 8, 2008

Olympic Fever



The Olympics start in just a few hours and we are very, very excited! Jeff will be the first to tell you that I'm no sports fan, but I LOVE the Olympics. I always have. I was only a year old during the '72 Olympics and I don't remember the '76 Olympics, but I do remember reading Nadia Comennici's biography as soon as I could read a whole book on my own and just being enthralled with her story. I also remember the pit in my stomach as I watched Jimmy Carter on the television in my living room when I was nine explaining why the USA would be boycotting the Olympics. I didn't understand what he was saying, but I remember how unfair I thought this was to the athletes who had trained so long and hard (and how unfari it was to me who had been waiting four years to see them compete). I lived overseas in '84 and didn't get to see much coverage of the Olympics, but who doesn't remember Mary Lou Retton's perfect vault. Jeff's work number ends -8410 and I always remember the phone number because in '84 Mary Lou Retton got a 10. Then, in '88 I remember being glued to the ice skating finals during a highschool party while everyone else was partying (and they weren't celebrating the Olympics). I spent much of my grandparent's 50th wedding anniversary party in one of their rocking chairs pulled up real close to their television to watch the all-around gymnastics competion. In '92, the Olympics competed with my studies at the Uof A. I had a tiny little television in my dorm room which was better than what my friend's Brian and Deirdre had, no television. They would come up to my room and we'd all strain our eyes to watch it together. I'll always remember and still quote Brian who fell to his knees and yelled "We got the GOLD!!" when some poor skater fell in pursuit of her life's dream rendering Kristi Yamaguchi the winner of Olympic Gold. Since owning our home, we've had some Olympic parties complete pot luck dishes from around the world and even an Olympic Torch pinata one year (thanks, Diana!) The last Summer Olympics found me with a newborn baby. I was so excited that he was born just before the Olympics knowing that I'd have the Olympics to keep me entertained while I nursed him at all hours of the night. I'm telling you, the best time to have a new born is during an Olympic Year! I'm a sap I know, but I love seeing all the countries of the world come together sporting their flags and cultural customs all in the spirit of friendly competition. I'm also moved and inspired by the odds people overcome to reach their full potential. We thought about having another party this year, but Jeff was embarassed by the state of our beat up couches and I was afraid that people might try to socialize during such a party. I really don't want to miss a moment of these opening ceremonies. Still, we're having our own little party, just us, on our beat-up couches with home made pizza, salad, and NO socializing!

1 comment:

Ask Cook said...

Angelita,

I am feeling you Olympic soulmate!

How about those opening ceremonies! I don't care if they had all the kids lipsincing like MilliVanilli and half the fireworks were computer generated. That was awesome!

Nothing reduces me to a puddle of tears like an olympic back story of pain and suffering on the way to marching in with the team.

Enjoying the moment but rooting hard for 2016 Olympics to be in Chicago!

Cookie