Friday, July 17, 2009

A True Fra-nesh-a-nal!

Believe it or not, I entered this photograph in a photography contest. But first, the story behind the photo:

This week Charlie went to rock climbing camp. That's right, rock climbing camp. We live in a rather small city that has grocery stores, a small shopping mall, a quaint downtown area, and a rock climbing gym! Both Meagan and James have participated in this camp in past summers. Charlie, since he was two, has been dying to join them. Finally, this year he made the age cut-off and was able to go. He LOVED it...we knew he would...he knew he would.

This kid learned to climb long before he could walk. When he was one, he would crawl over to the monkey bars at the park and climb way above my head if I didn't race to grab his ankle before he was out of reach. By age two he would climb the monkey bars only intended for the big kids. I'd get looks from other parents that I just had to learn to ignore. By age three, he broadened his horizons started scaling walls and ledges. Some time last summer, while watching James at rock climbing camp, Charlie said to me, " I don't NEED to go rock climbing camp because I'm already a fra-nesh-a-nal (read"professional") rock climber, but I still want to go to rock climbing camp."

This "fra-nesh-a-nal" often gets into trouble because of his skills. Earlier this year, I let him and his older brother go to the bathroom together in the men's restroom at a restaurant. I warned them to stay together and not to talk to anyone. Then I hovered in front of the door of the men's restroom. When the door swung open, I spotted Charlie standing on the sink counter helping himself to the paper towels and talking to a STRANGER who was washing his hands at the sink. When the boys came out of the restroom, I got on Charlie's case and said, "Why were you standing on the counter? And why were you talking to that man?" Charlie replied, "Mama, I had to climb up there to get the paper towels and that man asked if I needed some help so I had to tell him "No, I don't need help because I'm a fra-nesh-a-nal rock climber." At this, I could only stop scolding and burst into laughter.

So, I had hoped to catch more photos of Charlie with my new-to -me (thanks to my sister-in-law) fancy camera. But, this was the best I could do with my limited photography skills and a subject that climbs way too fast and high for me to capture on film.

In an effort to learn some photography skills, I attended our local photography club last night in hopes of bettering my nearly non-existant photography skills. As luck would have it, this first meeting of mine, was dedicated to a photography contest where everyone in the club submits up to three photos and everyone votes on the best entries. The winners' photographs are put on display at our local library and the winning photographs are printed in the paper. I figured I had nothing to lose and I was only going to learn by trying. So I snapped some shots at rock climbing camp, figured out how to get them from the camera to my computer and then printed them at Walgreens just in time to submit my entries with the other 36 (amazing!) entries. Several members of this club are professionals and the ones who aren't are still quite talented. So, I was just in it for the education.

After I put my photos on the display table, I took a seat and introduced myself to an older gentleman, Dallas, sitting next to me. Upon learning my name Dallas said, "Nice to meet you, Angie. How long have you been a professional photographer?" I laughed and said, "About 24 hours." I explained that my kind and generous sister-in-law is a professional photographer in San Diego and that she gave me the camera with which she started her business as she had outgrown its capabilities and that I was just joining this club to see what I could learn.

I did pick up a few tips and found everyone in the club to be very kind and helpful.

By the way, if you are wondering, I didn't win the contest. But, hey, not everyone can be a
FRA-NESH-A-NAL, you know!!!

2 comments:

dms said...

Angie!

Charlie???? What? I'm telling you he is frozen in my mind as that little baby. I glanced at the picture and wondered who it was... took me a few moments to see that it really is Charlie! Great boy, great photo. Love the story, too.

Diana

Tash said...

this is funny. Ugh I am wondering how they'll survive the men's room without their moms! I just barely let J go like a year ago by himself and always say dont talk to anyone and if anyone is weird to you run out or yell at them ha ha the phobias we instill

Charlie is funny!!! Way to lighten you up!!!