Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Chad

This is my little brother. I know he's bigger than me..but he's still my little brother. I used to be bigger than him. When we were kids we made up this game where we'd stand in the middle of a long tiled hallway of our home and lock fingers and then see who could push the other person to the end of the hallway. Whoever got their sibling's heels past the threshold of the carpet on either end of the hallway was declared the winner. We played it all the time and I won every single time....until the day I didn't. From then on Chad beat me every single time. I suppose that was the day my little brother became my big little brother. This photo of us is from just a few months ago. I love this photo of him so much and that we had it taken together, that I'm willing to post it even though it's not so great of me. He and his family, whom we all adore so much, came to visit for some snow play (see 2/5 post) and, though none of said it, to say "farewell for now". Last month he left for his third tour of duty in Iraq. Just like the other two times, I often have the sensation that there's just not quite enough air to breathe until I know he is home safe and sound. A month plus down, several to go. Come November he'll be home. Maybe at Thanksgiving, I'll challenge him to our old childhood game. And I'll lose again. I can hardly wait.


5 comments:

shawn said...

man, who was the terrible photographer that took this image :))) love this SO much, A. thanks for sharing this story--i've never heard it. it makes me feel closer to him just talking about him, reading about him, thinking about him. the air feels quite thin around here, too.

Angie said...

S. I won't mention the name of the photographer but I love that she, a professional, couldn't figure out how to use my point and shoot b/c she was so used to her million-button camera. It made Chad and I start laughing at her which is why this photo captured us both in a spot of laughter.

Salty Incisor said...

Again??? Well I will be praying for him to come home safely. His job is a crazy one if he will be doing the same thing he was before.
Well I think I am bagging the 20th. Anyway hope you are doing well.

tracy said...

It's NOT a bad picture of you!

I'm thinking of him all the time. We'll float him home on our good thoughts.

Deirdre said...

As always, Angie, your posts capture the best and most important bits and say it all so beautifully. Love this post about Chad and he is in all our thoughts and prayers. Can't wait to hear he's home.

And love the visible love in this photo!