Tuesday, November 4, 2008

BARACK THE VOTE

The sign in our yard during the primary season.
I feel like I've been waiting for this day my whole life...and in some ways, I have. I've been inspired by stories from our history of phenomenal leaders like Martin Luther King Jr. and John Kennedy. I've often found myself wishing I had been alive to witness such leadership. I truly believe that today we have the opportunity to elect such a pivotal and inspirational leader in Barack Obama. I feel so nervous and excited about the election today...but mostly I feel grateful to live in a country where we all have a say in our government. Is it perfect? No. Do I care about who wins? Very much so. But today when I sat at a busy calling center making "get out the vote calls" with men and women of various races and religions that were anywhere from way younger than me to way older than me, I felt full of gratitude to be a part of a process where we all matter, none more or less than the other. I truly feel that no matter who you vote for, it's absolutely critical that we all make our voices heard. Democracy at its best depends on us all taking part and speaking our voice. To quote a cheesy poem I heard yesterday that I can't site because, I imagine, the author of it was too embarassed by its cheesyness to take responsibility for it (but I'm a sucker for cute little rhyme):

Vote for Obama,
or Vote for McCain,
but vote for someone,
or you can't complain.

No comments: